Saturday 28 April 2018

Wayanad - The village of paddy fields

Wayanad - originally called the village of paddy fields, is famous for many things. Most of all it is famous for its culture, arts, spice plantations, treks, trails and wildlife. Wayanad is home to the famous Muthanga wildlife sanctuary.

When in Wayanad, it is fairly common to sight birds and animals of different species. Some of the common species you will come across are: Nilgiri fly catcher, egrets, malabar grey hornbill among others. Among animals, you will see monkeys and deer. It is rare to sight bigger animals especially elephants that tend to keep to the heart of the jungle, but have been known to come close to roads and villages.

Seeing an elephant in the wild is quite an interesting experience. A majestic animal, graceful, tranquil and moves with a purpose. On my recent visit, I was thrilled to learn that an elephant had been sighted as close as 300m from where I was staying - #Sterling Wayanad. An opportunity was not to be missed. We quickly left the resort to see the elephant, we were not disappointed.




The last time I saw an elephant in the wild, it was in Corbett, but that pales in comparison to seeing this tusker so close. We observed it as it moved with a sense of purpose and grace perhaps searching for water. Most of the jungle streams and watering holes tend to run dry in the summer while they wait for their replenishment from the monsoons. During this time, it is not uncommon to hear of elephants to come close to villages in search of water.
I quickly shot a few photos and videos of the elephant, knowing that I wanted to capture the experience.
Wayanad never ceases to amaze and surprise me. Thanks to the nature of my work, I know I will be in Wayanad again and there will be new experiences to see, remember and share.

2 comments: